aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam is a Latin motto that if were directly translated would mean, ‘I will either find a way or make one’. Generally, the motto is expressing that if there’s a will, there’s always a way. I’ve been holding to this motto for a long time. Coincidently, it’s also my school’s motto.

Why I hold on to such motto? Well, I believe, will is a very strong word. When you have a will, if Allah allows it, nothing could stand on your way. When doing something, will is very important. If you need to study for your exam but you hesitate, you will find many ways to not study. But if you have the will for it, nothing could distract you from doing it. Even if you came from a poor family and couldn’t afford to buy books, with the will you have, you wouldn’t mind going to the library to borrow some books for you studies.





Someone who is handicapped could do the same thing that the normal people do. If they don’t have any hands, the paint with their legs. If they don’t have any legs, they walk using their wheelchairs. If they don’t have any eyes, they see with their hearts. They play sports, they become people’s friend, they do craftwork, they do basically whatever we’re doing. And what do you think helps them overcome their weaknesses? It’s their will. Their will to be normal, to do things they’ve always wanted to do. And what we should have is the will to help them.




When you have the will, there’s also no room for giving up. People who are really willing and determined in doing something would never give up. They will find all the possible ways so that they can succeed in what they’re doing. Cause if there’s a will, there’s always a way. And when they have tried they’re very best, the outcome doesn’t matter anymore. Cause if they succeed, congratulations! But if they don’t, they’ll always try again.




By holding on to this motto, I have done much in improving myself. I like to do charity works, cause I like to put a smile on someone’s faces. There’s one time, I joined an event organized by my university. It’s a homestay program where we live with the villagers and help them with their daily chores that was held during the past Ramadan. I’m a city kid who’s very close to my family. I couldn’t stand being far apart from my family for so long. But for this event, I had to come back early, and can’t go home for more than a month (which is a long time for me as I usually go home every two weeks or so). But with the will I have to join this event, I put all of these aside. And it went well. I really enjoyed the event and never regret my decision.




Remember that I’ve told you about how bad I wanted the DVD that I’ve been looking for so long? I’ve been trying to buy it since a few years ago but I’ve never found it in the DVD stores. But my will to have the DVD is so strong, I didn’t given up looking for it till know. And hey, I’m only a few steps away from obtaining it. I took the barcode from a local DVD store website and Linkgave it to the store’s worker. And he’ll order it for me. Yeay! I just don’t know why I haven’t thought of it before this. Huh!

Then again, aut viam inveniam aut faciam. If there’s a will, there’s always a way. Till then. Tata!


Read my original post for Real Voices here.

0 comments: